Monday, June 12, 2006

Shaped Socks


Aren't these lovely?

My friend Roberta is an even more avid (or is that rabid???) knitter than I am. Recently, during one of our jaunts to a local coffee house she told me about the wonderful pattern "Shapely Secrets Socks." Well, of course I just HAD to do that internet search and purchase a copy of the pattern for myself. This came after our discussion of whether or not I should decrease the number of cast on stitches. I felt that socks made from fewer stitches might not fit and then all of my work would be wasted. I don't mind frogging...really I don't...but I don't like frogging that much!

Dawn Adcock, the designer, has come up with a wonder basic sock pattern that helps eliminate the bagging that can occur above the heel flap at the back of the ankle of stockinette stitch socks. She also creatively adds a bit of leg shaping to the cuff by using a graduated ribbing into the leg. The sock is great for 64 or 72 stitches cast on for cuff down knitting. Dawn's website is www.dawnadcock.com

I am working on my first sock with this pattern and if it fits as well as I think it is going to fit...well this WILL become my standard basic pattern.

And, this pattern works well with the wonderful self-patterning yarns that are on the market for today's knitters. I am using a Regia silk/wool blend that I bought at Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival. It is going along more quickly than usual. Why? Because I am not as bored as I sometimes get with knitting around and around. I need to pay attention to Dawn's pattern.

Dawn thank you for sharing your talents with others and Roberta thank you for being such a good friend and pointing me in the direction of this pattern.

2 comments:

mckyfan said...

I'm glad I stopped in to this blog, otherwise i would have never found this sock pattern. I went straight to the website and ordered one for myself, so far I am loving it, thank you so much for the website.

Ollie said...

I'm so glad I checked out Dawn's site as I have that issue of the heel & toe gazzette! I'm going to try the pattern. it looks wonderful!
meg