Saturday, June 13, 2009

Knitting in Public




Today is World-Wide Knit In Public Day. I am out-of-town so was unable to participate in the events in State College and Lewisburg but celebrated in my own way since Thursday. I have been attending an outdoor event which gives me a lot of knitting time. I don't get much opportunity to knit these days, so take advantage of every minute I can squeeze out of the day for knitting.
I finished the first sock from "Summer Sox" yarn and the second is on the needles. Truly, it is! I didn't have the second ball with me when I finished the first, so I picked up my Pi Shawl and started knitting on it again.

It is coming along. Progress is slow and will get slower when I get to the next k1, yo round which will take me to almost 600 stitches per row! Yikes. The Noro sock yarn is keeping this rhythmic knitting interesting as the colors change. The colors are bright and fun and do "pop" as I knit. That is the only good think I can say about this one-ply yarn. The spinning of it is inconsistent and changes from think to thicker to unspun roving in a short span. Then I go for a while and it is the normal fingering weight thickness. Also, I think it is rough so would not want it for a pair of socks. My other complaint is how tangled it is in the center of the ball. I pull out a short amount of yarn and a glob of tangled fiber pops out. I think I spend more time gently untangling that knitting. But, this will get done.

I am planning an garter stitch edging that also serves as the cast off. I think it will look very nice and will keep the edge from pulling toward the middle. Blocking should be interesting. More on that when the time comes.

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Work from the outside of the ball on the Noro yarn. That works much better. Also, it will soften when you wash it. It meant to be thick and thin, and all of this is part of what I always call "the Noro Experience."

Your shawl looks great!