Monday, April 28, 2008

A Tough Day at the Office





I never claimed to know a lot about agriculture, but continue to learn important things as part of my job. Friday was one of those days. See these guys...I spent the better part of a day with over 2,000 Alpacas. Well, it's a tough assignment but someone had to do it!


The Mid-Atlantic Alpaca Show/Jubilee was at the Farm Show building in Harrisburg, PA and since Alpaca farmers have been declared as livestock farmers and not hobby farmers in the pending Farm Bill, I went to visit the 'pacas. Oh, I have seen Alpacas in the past but never this many or the different varieties in one place.


I was so pleased that the farmers had fans blowing in the pens so their animals kept cool. And there always seemed to be food and water available for the animals who stood or laid down on sod placed in the display area just for their benefit.


There were quite a few vendors, mainly with items for use on the farm, but some had finished garments and also yarn. I bought nothing! I saw a lot I liked but I wasn't there to shop, I was there to learn and work.


Shopping is reserved for this weekend at Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival. I will post next week after that trip.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alpacas are just so darn cute. I will be thinking of you -- and yarn and spindles -- all day on Saturday, so DEFINITELY post about MDSW. And maybe we should plan a trip for you, to San Antonio, to coincide with the November fiber fair in Boerne.