Monday, April 14, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me!!!

Today is my birthday. How am I celebrating it ... by working, of course. This morning was nicely begun with kisses from the Golden Retrivers. My sister-in-law called me this afternoon. Tonight I guess Keith and I are going to dinner.

I hope to knit some more on my shawl I am knitting from the Folk Shawls book. I am using a dark gray yarn from Cleckheaton. The yarn is interesting as it is flecked with bits of camel colored yarn. I chose a triangular shawl in a simple garter stitch and very easy pattern -- one to knit while watching television. Just an 8-stitch border with the yarnover at each side to increase the shawl size.

I had the yarn in stash and bought it years ago when a shop went out of business. I think I purchased at least 16 skeins for $10...I only need about 8 skeins for this shawl so will have enough to knit something for someone else.

Only a couple of weeks to Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival and I can't wait. I really don't need any yarn but I LOVE the atmosphere of all the fiber people, the animals, the food vendors and the bus trip with friends. Something I have been anticipating for weeks. This will be my 5th festival and I hope the weather is as good this year as it has been in the past.

I am interested in the attendance. With gasoline prices creaping toward the $4 a gallon mark many people choose to stay home unless the trips are something they feel are vital. Those high gas prices will surely take away from yarn purchase money.

Back to work and then home.

3 comments:

Jewels said...

Happy birthday today! I saw your blog in the Townsend sock group. hope you have a great day!

Bianca said...

A belated happy birthday. :-) Yes, the gas prices really are sour. Here we pay almost € 1.60 per liter - recalculated to your gallons it will be $11.43 per gallon for gas, and for diesel it would come out on $9.28 per gallon. Guess where I live...LOL! In the most expensive country with enormous traffic jams :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh Kim, a happy belated birthday!!! I am going to carefully note the date (somewhere). And yes, of course, when you get back from MDSW you will have to tell us all about it, including whether attendance is down.