Saturday, September 22, 2007

Disappointing Yarn Shop Visit

Spent this past weekend in Washington, D.C. for "training" for my job. The training was so-so but the weather, walking in the neighborhoods with their beautiful townhomes, and the restaurants and pubs were fabulous.

I decided to visit Stitch DC while in town. Stitch DC has three shops -- one in Georgetown, a second on Capitol Hill which is where I was staying/working, and a third in Maryland. I trekked to the Capitol Hill shop and discovered it to be as disappointing as the one in Georgetown. I called in advance to ask about sock yarn and was told they had "lots of it." Well, ya, they do but come on folks it takes TWO small skeins to knit a pair of socks...and they had quite a number of single skeins and gave me a blank look when I asked for the matching one.

The shop mainly sells sweater yarns, magazines and did have a lot of nice new knitting books. The young women who worked there was very friendly but I could tell was not a sock knitter. I didn't buy anything which goes against my own rule of always buying something in a LYS. Our support is how they stay in business. But, there was nothing...not one thing...I wanted to buy. So after spending a half hour there and exchanging plensantries I left empty handed.

I did finish Emma's hat and will post its photo in a few days. Am hoping to finish the second September sock this weekend and will also post its photo in the next email. I have enough yarn from Emma's hat to make another one so am knitting it for a co-worker's niece who will be 1 in a few weeks. Details to folllow....

No comments: