Sunday, August 26, 2007

A long, stressful summer/July socks




I do think life is looking up at our house...home I am not jinxing things. We had a lot of health issues this summer with all three of our Golden Retrievers -- Brandeis age 11 1/2 (who had a 7 pound tumor removed from his liver -- thankfully it was benign!); Stratton age 9 (who had 4 surgeries for ear hematomas and then got hot spots all over the top of his head because of sweating underneath the bandages that kept his ears in place on top of his head -- oh those bandages were also sewn to his head); and Teddy Bear age 4 who developed a breathing problem (which was allergies we think because the meds seem to have solved the problem). Whew!


I did relatively little kntting (or blogging) since mid-June when this all began. I did enter my Feather and Fan socks into the Grange Fair and placed third with them. The Grange Fair and Encampment is a site to behold and I will take some photos this week and post them...this is one event where seeing IS believing.


Today I had a lovely time with several of my fellow members of the Penns Valley Area Knitters at a picnic at our family's tent. Thanks for coming Billie, Melissa, Roberta and Misty. Oh, and also Denny, Melissa's husband stopped for a while. We had a fun time knitting, chatting, and of course eating. The humidity finally broke and the temps dropped so the breeze in the tent was wonderfully welcomed!


I seem to be back into the swing of knitting socks...oh and shawls but will save them for a later post. The completed socks are from Opal which I purchased at MD Sheep & Wool Festival 2 or 3 years ago. I love how they striped. They are my July socks which I admit were finished in early August. I felt lucky to get them done.


On the needles are my August socks which won't be finished until early September...do we see a pattern emerging. They are from Blue Mountain Fibers Socks That Rock in the "Rocktober" colorway.


Squeeling with delight...see the lovely Lorna's Laces sock yarn in nice fall colors? Roberta brought the 2 skeins to me today as a gift. We have known each other for a number of years and she has been worried about me and the Goldens this summer. Thank you Roberta for all of your warm thoughts and good wishes. Also, for your kindness of the sock yarn. It will be the next fingering weight on my needles ... I am thinking a Feather and Fan pattern....gotta check the number of stitches. But, whatever the design (watch here for updates) Roberta's gift will be the next yarn knitted.


I am off to work on that sock in progress. Hope all of you had a good summer and are ready to enjoy beautiful Autumn weather (thinking positively!).

3 comments:

barbp said...

Congrats on the Grange Fair 3rd place - that's terrific. Gorgeous yarn ya got there - and I'm so glad to hear "the kids" are on the mend.

Sorry I couldn't be there on Sunday, it sounds like you had a wonderful time!

Unknown said...

Kim - check out Sock Wars II - yarnivation.blogspot.com - a really fun event!

Anonymous said...

Glad you like the yarn -- they just screamed "We're Kim's yarn" when I saw them. :>