Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Book Review










At last week's knitting gathering Lori shared her copy of the new book Getting Started Knitting Socks by Ann Budd. Sounds like a basic book, doesn't it? I was skeptical, until I opened it and didn't want to give it back to Lori. In some respects it is "basic" but in others it takes the sock knitter to new horizons.



I think that Ann Budd's book is one of THE best sock knitting books I have ever seen (or owned...yes, today I got my own copy). I consider it to be a veyr good investment as socks are the primary garment that come from my knitting needles. The author does go through the basics of knitting a sock, talks about gauge, the parts of the sock, how to measure to get a good fit, and all that other good stuff.



My second favorite part is the patterns for 5 different stitches per inch. My FAVORITE part and the reason I purchased this book are all the various designs for leg ribbings and lace patterns in repeats of 4-stitch, 6-stitch, and 8-stitch. For me, these will be the most used portions of the book.










No comments: