Thursday, May 20, 2010

Slightly Sidetracked

I'm still knitting shawlettes, and the wool pink/raspberry/metallic combination is 8 rows from completion. That will happen this weekend and I will post a photo.

I love the pattern I'm using for it, "Simple Things Shawlette" which can be purchased from Ravelry or perhapy from the designer's website http://www.rainydaygoods.com/

It is such a cute shawlette and easily can be made larger, if you have more yarn available. A predicament that I have encountered with the shawlette I started -- see photo. The pattern calls for 360 yards and I have 421 yards of yarn. After each 10-row section of eyelet I will weight the remaining yarn to help determine how many additional sections I can knit and not run out of yarn. I want to use up the yarn for both, so they will be larger than called for in the pattern.

The yarn is a cotton/wool/polyester combo in gorgeous shades of blue -- it reminds me of the ocean. I found this yarn in my stash and remembered it was a gift from my good friend Roberta who many years ago was very patient with me and taught me the art of sock knitting.

I had decided to make a summer weight shawlette. I decided to use a size 5 needle, instead of the 4 I am using for the wool yarn. The 5 gives a nice fabric but is just a little lighter which I think is perfect. And the colors in this yarn, the texture, and the drape are gorgeous! Thanks Roberta.

Last week at knitting group I was knitting the wool version and said it would be worn for the holidays. That certainly didn't meet with approval (NOT that I was looking for their approval!) from several vocal members of the group. If they knew about the cotton version perhaps they would be relieved.

1 comment:

Rob Knits said...

So glad you are enjoying the yarn, as well as your shawlette binge. Why in the world did the knitting group object to the idea of wearing the other shawlette for the holidays???