Monday, April 13, 2009

Pi Shawl


The end of my last post referred to "the big project." Well, here it is...started at least...a Pi Shawl as designed by the knitting wonder Elizabeth Zimmerman. I am loving this shawl...colorful in Noro sock yarn which changes every few rows -- I think I counted 13 colors before the repeat which is now just beginning. I will post photos as this project continues.
I am planning on the knitted garter stitch edging. I think the garter will be a lovely contrast to the stockinette stiches. Also, once it is done...it is done. No casting off. Elizabeth Zimmerman says that shawls should always be knitted off, not cast off.

The Pi Shawl is so easy. Knitting in the round with the theory of every time you double the number of stitches you are knitting by using yarnovers, you double the number of rows you knit...translation: 18 stitches, 6 rows; 36 stitches, 12 rows; 72 stitches, 24 rows, and on and on. Very easy. That is the way Elizabeth wrote the pattern, and being a traditionalist I am doing it as written. There are many lovely Pi Shawls on Ravelry and blogs. Most are very different from each other....which is fine. I bet Elizabeth would love how people are adapting her pattern.
One summer sock is done so tonight I will cast on the other.

1 comment:

Knitting Kris said...

EZ is amazing. Have you knit the BSJ yet?
I love your shawl! I'm knitting a different shawl out of Noro sock yarn too! It's easy, peasy, and very mindless, but that's why I love it so much!