Saturday, November 15, 2008

Holiday Knitting




Right now I am knitting socks as a Christmas gift and am using Rio de la Plata twist sock yarn. The colors are right, the yarn base is soft and it is superwash! Just perfect for the young woman on the go -- not me, the person who will get these socks.

Ironically enough the only drawback with the Rio sock yarn is the twist...it splits during knitting and if your needles are not pointed is somewhat of a problem. However, my new dpns with the very pointed tips are solving that problem. The photo shows a color of Rio yarn -- not the one I'm using for this particular pair of socks but it is one that I have and am going to use for myself.

It is just amazing how many indie dyers are now marketing their yarns. There are some gorgeous ones out there...prices are going up, as with everything. But, with all the time I spend knitting an item I really want to use as nice of yarn as possible. I have a good stash and am glad for it...got the yarns before many of the prices increased. So, I am knitting from stash and happy for it!
My holiday knitting this year consists of a pair of socks and several pairs of fingerless mitts. What about you? What are you knitting?

2 comments:

Knitting Kris said...

Well, I'm finishing my first pair of toe-up socks, but they will be for me! They are Scarlet Fleece that I bought from Libby, and it has turned out to be a nice yarn!
I have fingerless mitts to finish, and then some cowls for Christmas.
Are you going to the sale at Mad About Ewes on Saturday?

Kim said...

I wish I could go to Libby's event. It sounds like such fun, but it is the last Penn State home game of the year and we always attend the games. Hope to see you soon.