Friday, December 29, 2006

Special Box for My DPNs





It is amazing what some people can do with a piece of wood, a saw and some imagination -- my brother-in-law Bob is one of those people. Oh, how talented he is. On previous Christmases I have received wooden items -- a spice box, a jewelry box and a shelf all designed and created with his own hands. They are all very special.

This year was no exception. He knows I am a sock knitter (as is my sister, Sally) and that I wanted something small, sturdy but lightweight to hold my wooden sock needles so they don't break....I'm not as good with wood as he is. He designed a special sock needle box for my double pointed needles!! It fits nicely into my sock knitting bag, is lightweight but sturdy and holds many, many sets of wooden DPNs. Thank you so much Bob for all of your hard work!!! I love my one-of-a-kind DPN box and will treasure it always.

Look at these photos to see how special this handcrafted box is...from the small hinge to hold the lid on tightly, to the smooth sliding lid, to the thin dividers inside...individual slots for each size needle! A true work of art that was especially designed and created for me! What a treat.

9 comments:

barbp said...

Kim your brother is very talented and the delicate gift certainly shows his affection for you. It's so well crafted!

I'm in Indiana right now as Steve is doing some broadcasting for Notre Dame hockey this weekend.

I'm wishing you and yours a healthy and the happiest of New Year's.

Mamere Knits Too Much said...

oh how lovely!

Anonymous said...

That is gorgeous! What a work of art.

Lisa said...

Very nice!

Maggie said...

It's a very lovely and useful box, a nice gift for any knitter.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful box and wonderful craftsmanship! You're a very lucky lady!

OzKnitter said...

Simply gorgeous. I'm green with envy!

David said...

Very, Very cool. What a nice gift.

Anonymous said...

this was really incredible -- what a terrific gift!!