Saturday, December 18, 2010

Christmas Knitting


Christmas knitting was done...or so I thought. Then I got the bright idea to knit a neckwarmer for the wonderful woman who takes care of my Goldens at the kennel. An easy, quick worsted weight neckwarmer. Easy, peasy right...not necessarily.

I chose a nice superwash Cascade 220 twist in navy, royal blue, teal, and light greeen. Really pretty, soft and from my stash! Yeah stash knitting!!

I have knit probably 4 inches total but right now there are no stitches on my needles. I have frogged twice. The pattern I was modeling my version after called for 95 stitches on a size 6 or 7 needle. I had an idea for a simple neckwarmer -- 4 rows of purl, 8 inches or so of stockinette, 4 rows of purl and cast off. Easy pattern but huge...would have fit a middle linebacker for the New York Jets. Second time I tried 85 stitches on the size 7. Still too big. So, now I got a size 6 circular needle and am knitting 80 stitches and I hope it isn't too small. I think it will be fine. Design is stretchy. I don't want her to feel as if she is wearing a neckbrace but I also want a sturdier fabric and smaller neck opening. So it will be her New Year's present when I pick up my boys from her kennel.

I knit a nice feather & fan neckwarmer for the friend of a friend. She loved mine and my friend picked the yarn -- from my stash again. Woo-hoo! Mountain Colors twist in the Sundance colorway (I think that is the name). Came out really nice and should keep the new owner who lives in Buffalo warm this winter.

I also knit a pair of fingerless mitts for the woman who grooms my Goldens. Hope she likes them. They are shown in the accompanying photo.

It wasn't a Christmas present but I made a neckwarmer with a drawstring for a colleague in Philadelphia. She received it in Thursday's mail and called me that night. She LOVES it and can't stop raving about it.

Next up after Jeannie's neckwarmer is a gift for a swap I am doing through Ravelry's Loopy Ewe site. Will not post photos until it is mailed for the Valentine's Day deadline. I think my swap partner is now reading my blog so I don't want to ruin the surprise.


1 comment:

Rob Knits said...

Those mitts came out very nice Kim. And cowls are a great idea for those of you freezing up north. I am suffering from a certain amount of season confusion: why all the Christmas carols when it is 70 degrees out? LOL, you would think I would have gotten used to it by now.