Sunday, July 26, 2009

New (to me) Websites

It is always fun to come across new knitting-related website -- whether blogs or places to purchase knitting necessities (translation...yarn and/or patterns). I feel so lucky because in the past two weeks I have discovered three blogs that are all well written by extremely talented knitters/designers, very different from each other, and they also sell their designs via pdf downloads. Translation: you pay with credit card by whatever means they use and within minutes you have a pdf of the pattern to download. Yes, you can save it to your computer in case you need a clean copy at some point or need to replace the pages chewed by your Golden Retriever...ahem...we won't go there...will we Teddy Bear??!!

The first site I came across is Brooklyn Tweed. Jared's designs are fabulous and it seems that he is coming out with a book of patterns within the next month or so. I can't wait. Some of his patterns are available for purchase from the internet site Ravelry.

Last Monday I somehow came across the site for Pink Lemon Twist. She has great sock patterns and I purchased some of her downloads. I LOVE her patterns for various reasons ... first and foremost she knits top down on dpns as I do. Nice top down sock patterns are tough to find these days since many people are knitting toe up. Just not my thing...I so prefer dpns and top down.

The last very pleasant "discovery" was later in the week. A Scottish designer/knitter named Ysolda who has a wonderful pdf booklet called Whimsical Little Knits. Absolutely amazing patterns. I immediately had to cast on for the gorgeous scarf with its lace border. I am not an overly accomplished nor overly confident knitter but I think it is a pattern I can handle and will enjoy. The pattern also comes in a shawl size, but the yarn I chose is enough for the scarf which I will wear more than a shawl. More on it in a future posting.

No comments: