Saturday, February 23, 2008

Snow Day Fun/Knitting Plan


Brandeis, Stratton and Teddy Bear LOVE the snow. By this point of the season, I have a different opinion. This photo is from yesterday. Stratton has a large stick (you'd think they don't have real toys and Teddy Bear is on the right ready to play tug. Boy where they tired last night. The sky was sunny today so even though it was cold, it made a nice play day for them.


I've had a reality check when it comes to what I have time to knit. Small projects...except for those couple of oblong shawls for which I already purchased yarn. I love entering projects in the Centre County Grange Fair -- which isn't until August -- but I am starting early this year. After analyzing my lack of knitting time, I decided to knit a lace scarf rather than a lace shawl for entry. Same wonderful pattern but in a smaller version. I only have a few rows knitted so will post a photo when there is really progress to show.


Other items I plan to enter are socks OF COURSE! but can't decide whether or not to do a s elf-striping pair in plain stockinette or a one-color pair in fingering weight using a lace pattern. I have the yarn for both and have a lace pattern I really want to knit. Here's the situation: last year I entered a beautiful pair of socks knit in merino hand-dyed purple sport weight yarn using the Feather and Fan pattern. They were perfectly knit with nice kitchener stitch toe. The purple socks took third place. First place was won by someone who knit a pair of slippers in little squares from cheap arcylic yarn and second was won by someone who knit a plain pair of socks in a medium weight yarn.


So, what should I do...the plain self-striping or the lace ones? Looking for some suggestions, please.


I also have a child's hat and an adult hat I want to knit. Simple but nice patterns. Time will tell as to how many items I actually finish.

1 comment:

Phiala said...

I didn't enter anything at the Grange Fair (and never have, actually), but I was quite perplexed by the judging results.