Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Washing Socks


Many people choose to wash their handmade socks in the washing machine and some even are brave enough to put them in the dryer. Well, then call me "Chicken" with a capital "c" because I handwash all of mine in Eucalan which has a wonderful smell and doesn't require rinsing. I let my socks soak about 15 minutes per pair in this wool wash, swish them around and then gently squeeze out the excess water. Then they are rolled in a towel and NOT rung out but again gently squeezed. After this they are hung on the bathroom towel rack to dry. Yes, it might take a whole day but I'd rather that than shrink, felt or damage them. I use sock yarn that is colorful and often costly. Additionally, the hours I put into knitting these gems is worth a little extra care in washing and drying. Others have methods that work for them and that is great. This works for me and I am sticking to it.

1 comment:

Ana said...

Euclan is wonderful! I don't blame you for wanting to handwash your socks. Whenever I finally get mine done, I'll do the same!